Test out your Chip knowledge with our Chip Quiz, especially created to celebrate Chip Week 2013. It has five quiz sections including:
1. Quirky Round
2. Popular Culture Round
3. Celebrity Round
4. History Round
5. Trivia Round
What does your score say about you?:
Anything over 43: You are a true chip champion!
Between 21-43: You could try harder...
Under 20: How many? Oh dear...
- Q: Which day of the week is most popular for eating chips?
- Q: Chris Verschueren, from Kastel, Belgium holds the world record for the longest French fries cooking marathon. How long was he cooking for? Was it A) 25 hours B) 83 hours D) 200 hours.
- Q: A quarter of all potatoes grown in Britain each year are made into chips how many tonnes of chips do you think that is? A) 120,000 tonnes B) 670 million tonnes C) 1.5 million tonnes.
- Q: The chips eaten in which country each year come from potatoes weighing the equivalent of nearly 2.9 million Formula One cars? A) Britain B) France C)Belgium
- Q: In one year Britain eats nearly three billion meals containing chips, true or false?
- Q: Maris Piper, Bluebird, Rooster and Sante. Which one is not the name of a potato variety?
- Q: In 2007 it became legal to make up to 2,500 litres of your own biodiesel (which can be produced using chip fat), enough to run the average family car. True or false?
- Q: Chip off the old what is a famous saying?
- Q: Approximately how many meals containing homemade chips are eaten in Britain each year? A) 1 million B) half a billion C) 1 billion
Popular Culture Round
- Q: What did the capitals C,H and P in the title of the hit 80s TV programme ‘CHiPs’ stand for?
- Q: Which group sang the 2008 Grammy award nominated single ‘Ready for the Floor’?
- Q: Chip the teacup is a famous character from which Disney movie?
- Q: Rihanna shot her video for the song ‘We Found Love’ in a fish and chip shop. Where was the shop? A) Manchester B) Glasgow C) Belfast.
- Q: Ian Beale owns the famous fish & chip shop in Eastenders, but what is it called?
- Q: Who served fish & chips at their wedding? A) Myleene Klass & Graham Quinn B) Madonna & Guy Ritchie C) Katie Price & Peter Andre
- Q: In the hit sitcom ‘Friends’ a teenage Ross almost took Rachel to what when Chip Matthews nearly didn’t show up? A) The High-School Prom B) The Park C) Out for Dinner
- Q: The ‘Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers’ were what animal in the 80s TV show?
- Q: What world famous British TV sitcom had a one-off prequel called ‘Rock & Chips’ in 2010? A) Only Fools and Horses B) Faulty Towers C) Dad’s Army
- Q: Biff, Chip and Kipper are characters from which famous children’s book series? A) The Magic Key B) The Famous Five C) Nancy Drew
- Q: Lady Gaga sent her security team to pick up fish and chips in Marylebone, London after a show in 2011, true or false?
- Q: How much did Rihanna allegedly (sic) spend in September 2011 on fish and chips for herself and her crew whilst filming a music video in Belfast? Was it A) £100 B) £500 C) £800
- Q: David Walliams feasted on fish and chips to up his energy levels whilst swimming what in September 2011?
- Q: John Lennon liked to smother his chips with mayo, true or false?
- Q: Michelle Obama treated her daughters to a fish supper in a London pub during a visit to London in 2011, true or false?
- Q: Kate Moss had fish & chips at her hen-do in August 2011. Where was she celebrating?
- Q: Which X-Factor star owns a chip shop? A) Simon Cowell B) Dermot O’Leary C) Gary Barlow
- Q: Which royally connected personality is a former judge of the Seafish Industry Authority “Fish and Chip Shop of the Year” competition? A) Sarah Ferguson B) Pippa Middleton C) Tom Parker Bowles
- Q: Both Mike Tindall and Stacey Solomon used to work in chip shops before they were famous, true or false?
- Q: What did Winston Churchill call fish and chips? A) A nuisance B) An inspiration C) Good companions
- Q: What food wasn’t rationed during the Second World War?
- Q: During the D-Day landings, the Parachute Regiment landing behind enemy lines in darkness identified friend from foe by using the code word ‘FISH’. What would the reply be?
- Q: When was the first fish and chip shop opened? A) 1795 B) 1860 C) 1930
- Q: Fish and chips were eaten by the Territorial Army in the 1930s to prepare them for what? A) Battle b) Going home c) Birthdays
- Q: Who were the first to eat potatoes 6000 years ago? A) The Egyptians B) The Incas C) The Romans
- Q: The potato is thought to have been brought to England in which century? A) 19th B) 17th C) 16th
- Q: Fish and chips became so essential to the community of Bradford in 1931 that one fish and chip shop had to employ a doorman to control the queues, true or false?
- Q: A brooch owned by Queen Elizabeth II has been given the following affectionate name A) Granny Chips B) Brother Chip C) Chip Jewels
- Q: What year was the chip and pin introduced in the UK?
- Q: For chips prepared in the home, nearly 60% are oven baked, true or false?
- Q: What condiment are fans of wedges most likely to dip them in? A) Ketchup B) Barbecue sauce C) Mayonnaise
- Q: The record number of chip portions sold in a fish and chip shop in one day was what? A) 3,500 B) 4,000 C) 7,100
- Q: The world’s largest fish and chip portion was made in July 2011 in a pub in Wensleydale. What country held the previous record?
- Q: Who invented the ‘ultimate chip recipe’ – the triple-cooked chip?
- Q: We eat 30 million portions of fish and chips in Britain each year, true or false?
- Q: How many fish and chip shops are there in the UK? A) more than 5,000 B) more than 10,000 C) more than 15,000
- Q: Which take-away is more popular – Indian or fish and chips?
- Q: An average portion of chip shop chips contains 300 fewer calories than a doner kebab, true or false?
- Q: What percentage of the population love chips? A) 45% B) 75% C) 87%
- A: Friday[i]
- A: B - 83 hours[ii]
- A: C - 1.5 million tonnes[iii]
- A: A – Britain[iv]
- A: True[v]
- A: Bluebird
- A: True [vi]
- A: Block.
- A: B – half a billion[vii]
Popular Culture Round
- A: California Highway Patrol.[viii]
- A: Hot Chip[ix]
- A: Beauty and the Beast[x]
- A: C – Belfast[xi]
- A: Beale’s Plaice[xii]
- A: A – Myleene Klass & Graham Quinn[xiii]
- A: A) The High-School prom.[xiv]
- A: Chipmunks[xv]
- A: A – Only Fools and Horses[xvi]
- A: A – The Magic Key[xvii]
- A: True[xviii]
- A:B - £500[xix]
- A: The Thames.[xx]
- A: False – He preferred ketchup[xxi]
- A: True[xxii]
- A: The Isle of Wight Festival[xxiii]
- A: B – Dermot O’Leary[xxiv]
- A: C – Tom Parker Bowles.[xxv]
- A: True[xxvi]
- A: C – Good companions[xxvii]
- A: Chips[xxviii]
- A: ‘CHIPS’[xxix]
- A: A - Battle[xxx]
- A: B – The Incas[xxxi]
- A: C – 16th Century[xxxii]
- A: True[xxxiii]
- A: A – Granny Chips[xxxiv]
- A: 2006[xxxv]
- A: True[xxxvi]
- A: B – Barbecue sauce[xxxvii]
- A: B- 4,000
- A: America[xxxviii]
- A: Heston Blumenthal.
- A: False – We eat 300 million of them![xxxix]
- A: B - More than 10,000[xl]
- A: Fish and chips[xli]
- A: False – they actually contain 686 fewer calories.[xlii]
- A: C – 87%[xliii]
[i] Kantar Worldpanel, consumption 12 months ending May 2011
[ii] World Records Academy, September 2010
[iii] AHDB- Market Intelligence
[iv] National Federation of Fish Friers: Fish and Chips Factoids
[v] Kantar Worldpanel consumption 12 months ending May 2011
[vii] Kantar Worldpanel consumption 12 months ending May 2011
[xix] Daily Star – 29.9.11 pg, 17
[xx] Sunday Mirror 18.9.11
[xxix] Adrian Herdman, NFFF Executive Councillor in Wales
[xxx] National Federation of Fish Friers: Did You Know?
[xxxvi] 56.5% are baked, 38.6% Fried and 3.1% are microwaved. Kantar Worldpanel, consumption 12 months ending May 2011
[xxxvii] TNS survey of 1000 adults, September 2011
[xxxviii] Guinness World Records, July 2011
[xxxix] National Federation of Fish Friers: Fish and Chips History
[xl] Fish and Chips Factoids document supplied by the NFFF
[xli] Fish and Chips Factoids document supplied by the NFFF
[xlii] Doner kebab 377kcal/100g, portion = 315g=1188kcal Hamburger 243kcal/100g, portion=180g quarter pounder=437kcal chips 210g portion = 502kcal - An average portion of chip shop chips contains 686 fewer McCance and Widdowson’s The Composition of Foods Summary Sixth Edition
[xliii] Mingle Trend survey of 560adults, February 2011